Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bringing home the bacon

Who should provide the income in a marriage? I bring home the main source of income now. Eli did for over 3 years in Cali, before that we both did. We've had more & more conversations about this recently. Whether its bible based or not, our feelings are aligned.
First we start discussing who we want to raise our children, and we've always agreed on this 100%. Him or I. That has never been an argument. Then we discuss which out of the two it may be. I honestly thought that I would always want to work, being a nurse affords me a schedule that puts me out of the home only 3 days a week, not too bad. Yes they are long days, but that allows me 4 days @ home. On the other side, we question if we could afford having children on just my income. And then I begin to question do I really want to be the one not at home with them all the time. I know Eli would be an amazing parent, but am I willing to give that part up, even if its only partially.
Either way I know we will work out the details, its just a blessing to have a reason to be talking about it. :)

1 comment:

Mama Goose said...

Wow, that's a really big decision. And it's really smart to talk about it and plan it now.

We said Mike should work and I should stay home probably mainly because he makes a lot more money than I would as a social worker, and I really have a strong desire to stay home, whereas he does not.

Do you think there is a biblical argument for specifically the mother staying home? Or is the biblical mandate that the parents should ensure the children are well taken care of and nurtured?