Friday, January 30, 2009

The Friends that you miss...

I often tend to have close friendships & not many. I hope that doesn't sound too sad. I remember a counselor once said to me why do you think that is? Honestly I don't know, all I know is that I truly cherish the friendships that I have formed along the years.
1.Erin-Whom I met when I was 5, she was riding her big wheels in our neighborhood. We were neighborhood friends for a while. Played kick ball, rode bikes, hide & seek & always got called in for dinner by our moms. We are still friends 30+ years later. Our lives took us on two very different paths. Me through college, eagerly & her w/barely one semester of college & then a baby by 23. She still lives near where we grew up, her parents still in the house that she grew up in. Our lives so different, yet me becoming a mom soon, converging as well. We are still friends, talk & see each other when I'm up there. And I would do anything for her.
....Along w/Erin I did have more friends through school, some have reconnected with on Facebook, but nothing like my two close college friends:
2.Sarah & Kim-Looking at all that I have been through since meeting them when I was 18 is insane. The losses, trips, joys, weddings we've experienced are endless. I've grown up a lot since 18 & we are still there for each other. I would never question a phone call after midnight from either...
3.Leah-A friend who is so unlike me in many ways & yet like me in so many other ways. We shared this eagerness for adventure, always wanting to explore our surroundings & never wanting to miss something out there.
4.Anita--A woman that has so much laughter & spunk, that I miss often. Someone that you could laugh with, just to laugh.
5.Lori-Don't you wonder how we worked @ that company for as long as we did. Another transplant to California, that made it feel a little more like home. How we both miss hanging out with you & Chris.
6.Irika/Anastasia--How much you made Nursing School enjoyable. How we will never forget our VA rotation. I often think back to our late study nights and thank God we all passed the Boards first go around.

I know we are all in different places in our lives & none of you are near me (in location) at this time. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to if you all lived by & we could just say 'oh, just drop by'. But for some reason God has put you in my life at a certain time, physically near me at time when we needed it most. It doesn't mean that one day we won't be again, but who knows- I'm just glad that I can call any of you up at any time & you would just listen. MISS YOU!

4 comments:

Mama Goose said...

For what it's worth, people usually form friendships in one of two ways. Some friends like to go with the "wide" approach - lots of friends but the relationships aren't as deep. Others go "deep" - fewer friends but deeper relationships.

I think it's an introvert/extrovert thing. Intros do deep and extros do wide.

Lori Chapman said...

It's interesting that you are commenting on Friendship today, I really enjoyed our talk today and can't believe I made it on your blog. Chris and I were just saying how many people have commented on how difficult it is to be my friend.

I just had an interesting exchange aka "Mama Drama" with one of my first Mom friends over our girls playing and her disciplining them. I've bought about 10 children's book on Friendship to help Ava with the topic. With a 3 year old learning to be a friend seems to be the main lesson besides going on the potty for the year!

We miss you guys greatly!

Miss Nguyen said...

Wow, Alison. I am truly honored to be among what looks like amazing women in your life. I hope I get to meet all of them one day. You have been a great friend to me and I always think of you as a person with a heart of gold, whom always sees the good in everyone.

Kim said...

Thanks Alison! Your friendship means a lot to me too. Even though we don't talk all that often, I hope you know that I am thinking of you, and wishing that I could see your belly grow in person, and not just over the internet! I always knew I would be the most excited when either you or Sarah got pregnant. I think back to all those years, all the laughing and crying, hehe, the laughing until we cried. So many memories. I'm laughing now just thinking of them. And all of the things that we have gone through since, the good and bad, has made us all stronger.

Isn't it strange that we have all ended up so far apart? But you are right, no matter what, I am always here for you... and you could call me anytime! Although it would probably cost you a fortune. Speaking of which, I should probably give you my new phone #'s.. ;-)

Love you Al!