Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sinking Sand

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

—Edward Mote (1797-1874)




Our week or shall I say 6 days since Eli's shoulder surgery on the 29th has felt like sinking sand. Its so easy for me to loose my way, and spin out of control. First and foremost as much as we know Eli's surgery went well, only time will tell how his body responds to what the surgeons did. We were at the hospital by 6:40am & he went back for prep & surgery around 8am.
We made it home around 1pm and Eli had his first vomit episode about an hour later. Then another & another. By then he had some pain meds on board but I honestly didn't know how much cause he kept throwing them up. That in itself felt stressful, cause they kept stressing the urgency of keeping on top of the pain meds. How important it was cause when the anesthesia block wore off, "he would be feeling IT!"
So we got Eli an order of Phenergan STAT and I made it back & forth to Rite Aid pretty quickly. That helped, but still had a little more vomit. So we did our best & spaced out all the meds & got up diligently overnight to make sure he had what he needed. Morning came too quickly.....I think we were zombies. Eli of course more so cause of all the pain meds ingested.
Now at this point Thursday passed sort of with a blur & Eli mentions in the afternoon that he hadn't urinated in like 12+ hours....tick-tock--omg!! So again I called the doctors, they of course insisted that he had to pee or to ER we must go for a catheter. So Eli drank & drank & drank some more. After about dozen visits to the loo-- he made pee!!! YES!!!.....& that was Thursday's drama....
Friday ticked along, Lil had her 15 month check-up...got some shots...and then well her stool was now runny. OMG my poor girl's belly...and all I had in my head is now of course I have to go back to work that night...which I did. All I wanted to do was to stay home, but thank-fully my dad stayed overnight (my mom was home sick @ home d/t the stomach bug). They did well...but then I got a message from Eli overnight, early morning really that he was about to ITCH his skin off. Thinking he was having a reaction to the pain meds. He called the doctor, 3rd time is a charm & they instructed no more pain meds but take Benadryl & supplement with an NSAID.
So I stopped off @ CVS after work, didn't know they were open so early on a Saturday morning, thank-God....and NOW things should be all better right.....
WRONG.....you gotta laugh....(now anyways)
After I have a quick nap, I awaken to an achy body, nasty head & nausea. My eyes hurt...so here we have post-op Eli, nauseous me & a happy Lili....
Thank-fully friends brought food for us Saturday night, good for E & L. Sunday we rested up, more food from friends....& I certainly didn't make it to work that night.....and Monday, lovely Monday we awoke to a bed full of poo from Lili. Poor girl.
Fast forward to Tuesday, Eli's got the stomach bug & thankfully do I dare say I'm doing ok.
We couldn't have imagined this was how our week was going to be. Between friends being by our sides at the hospital, praying for us, watching our child or meals brought to us, we also couldn't be more thank-ful for this family that cares for us so well. Thank-you for all these blessings.

No comments: